This Jr. Specialist position is responsible for assisting Stable Isotope Facility staff in processing and analyzing a steady stream of incoming samples. Tasks include instrument maintenance and operation, preparing samples and standards for analysis, and receiving and tracking samples.
- Participating in the preparation of samples for nitrate 15N and 18O analysis by bacterial assay including maintenance of the bacterial cultures, preparation and inoculation of samples, and ultimately preparation of analyzed gas. Participating in any method troubleshooting and problem resolution. (35%)
- Performing routine maintenance of Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometers (IRMS) and Elemental Analyzers and loading analytical runs, including setting up and monitoring runs, removing ash, and replacing reaction columns. (35%)
- Preparing samples and references for isotopic analysis including weighing samples on microbalance, transfer samples for water isotope analysis, and acidifying samples for dissolved inorganic carbon analysis. (20%)
- Assisting with tracking received samples including: receiving and logging samples, communicating with customers regarding samples, and distributing samples. (5%)
- Performing routine lab tasks such as changing gas cylinders and preparing for hazmat pickups. (5%)
- B.S./B.A. in Physical or Life Sciences is required.
- Previous lab work experience is required.
- Previous IRMS and elemental analyzer instrument experience is preferred.
- Previous experience maintaining bacterial cultures is preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Windows, Excel, and Access is required
- All aspects of this position require great attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills are required.
Term of Appointment: Full time for 6 months. The position may be extended for up to 2 years.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Letter of Interest
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)