Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
We are seeking a motivated Junior Specialist in the Department of Plant Pathology at the University of California Davis.
The incumbent of this position will be actively and significantly involved in publishable research activities through the following roles and duties:
• Assist the PI and other lab members in developing and testing sustainable management strategies for Prunus replant disease, as well as support other researchers with related projects.
• Assist in screening nut tree rootstocks for resistance to Phytophthora.
• Assist the PI in development, establishment, and management of field, greenhouse, and laboratory experiments, including experimental design, study set up, data collection, data analysis and interpretation, and contribution to resulting reports, outreach articles for trade journals, and scholarly manuscripts for peer reviewed journals.
• Project development will involve active engagement of literature in project development and interpretation beyond that expected in a purely technical capacity, including use of literature for hypothesis development, development of literature reviews, development and optimization of protocols and analytical methods, and development of introductory and discussion material in the preparation of manuscripts and reports. Some literature will be provided (books, articles), but it is expected that the incumbent will conduct literature searches to identify additional materials.
• Technical duties will include isolating microbes from plant tissue and soil, extracting nucleic acids from complex samples, collecting and analyzing plant data, producing libraries for high-throughput sequencing, analyzing high-throughput sequencing data, and producing publication-quality figures for reports, peer-reviewed articles, and meetings.
• Assist the PI in development of grant proposals based on data collected in previous studies, including development of project objectives, experimental methods and project background information.
• As a full time lab member, this position includes responsibility for maintaining safety standards and meeting regulatory requirements, staff training and management (undergraduate student technicians), and general laboratory management.
• The incumbent will have opportunities to develop presentation abilities in laboratory meetings and the UC Davis plant pathology department retreat and other local (on-campus) events. As the position progresses, there may be opportunities to present project results at professional and industry meetings.
University and Public Service:
• As part of UC service and service to the public, the incumbent will help serve critical disease diagnosis needs for crop producers as well as for research scientists at academic and government agencies. These diagnosis services are conducted free of charge, representing a significant service to the agricultural producers research community.
• She/he is also encouraged to participate at Picnic Day, where our lab has a table with hands-on demonstrations for the public
UC Davis is an affirmative action/equal employment opportunity employer and is dedicated to recruiting a diverse faculty community. We welcome all qualified applicants to apply, including women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
UC Davis is a smoke- and tobacco free-campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) will be strictly prohibited on any property owned or leased by UC Davis -- indoors and outdoors including parking lots and residential spaces.
This position requires at least a Baccalaureate or similar degree in Plant Pathology, or related discipline. Note: The junior specialist rank is an entry level position, accordingly it is inappropriate to hire applicants with advanced degrees in this field, or those with bachelor’s degrees and three years’ relevant work experience. (See APM-UCD 330)
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Diversity contributions documented in the application file will be used to evaluate applicants. Visit http://academicaffairs.ucdavis.edu/diversity/equity_inclusion/index.html for guidelines about writing a diversity statement and why one is requested.
- 3-5 required (contact information only)
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information