Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
This position provides technical, scientific and organizational assistance to Dr. Deanne Meyer’s research and extension program in the Department of Animal Science, which focuses on the environmental stewardship in dairy operations. The research is designed to better understand anaerobic conditions on commercial dairies where greenhouse gas emissions are likely to occur and evaluate implementation of management practices to reduce these emissions. The research contributes both to the generation of fundamental knowledge about how animal housing and manure management practices lead to potential methane emissions and provides foundational information to determine modifications to currently used mathematical processes to determine reductions of methane emissions based on farm specific management practices.
The Junior Specialist will be required to work under the supervision of the PI to coordinate, conduct, and oversee data collection and intermittent field research, and make local field arrangements. Arrange for assistance from county- and campus- based staff and other collaborators to facilitate research as necessary. Requires ingenuity, resourcefulness, and adaptability to special and changing needs of the field activities. Establish protocol and perform a limited number unique field campaigns. With PI guidance evaluate existing Alternative Manure Management calculator used by the California Department of Food and Agriculture to estimate methane emissions reductions. Report research and study progress, summarize and interpret preliminary data to PI.
The Junior Specialist will collect, organize, and summarize field and laboratory data, evaluate data and prepare tables and graphs for publication, calculate statistics as needed using SAS/R and/or Excel, draft reports and sections of publications and presentations. The Junior Specialist will contribute to scholarly manuscripts through reviewing and commenting on draft manuscripts, conducting literature searches, data collection, and helping to write methods sections.
The Junior Specialist will: create and manage a database of needed information, communicate with Staff Research Associate to maintain and update inventory and order supplies, maintain computers, files, and programs with appropriate backup for all computers under supervision, development/revision of appropriate standard operating procedure (SOP) as needed.
University and Public Service
The Junior Specialist will participate in training activities, such as schedule, train and supervise undergraduate student assistants.
• Bachelor’s degree in Animal Science, Statistics, Agricultural and Biological Engineering or related field with skill set required.
• Valid California driver’s license.
• Must speak and write fluent English.
• Demonstrated experience with handing data in spreadsheets and statistical analyses with SAS or R.
• Willingness and interest to learn new techniques and to work in an applied setting on dairy farms.
• Demonstrated computer skills in word processing, data analysis, and statistical software: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), SAS and/or R and troubleshooting experience.
• Demonstrated organizational expertise in maintaining records, ordering supplies, updating inventories, and safety records.
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills necessary to work with a diverse team from different backgrounds and with varying skill levels for the purpose of assisting/teaching/supervising.
• Ability to conduct library and database searches and synthesize acquired knowledge effectively in writing and apply it to research processes.
• Ability to lift at least 40 lbs and carry short distances.
• Ability to work outdoors for up to 10 hours/day in summer and winter as needed.
• Availability to work on nights/evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
• Ability to work remotely as needed.
• Experience working on commercial dairy facilities.
• Experience working collaboratively.
• Spanish speaking desirable.
SALARY RANGE: Step I- $3,291.67 or Step II-$3,508.33 monthly, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
POSITION AVAILABLE/CLOSING DATE: For full consideration, completed applications must be submitted by 8/29/18.
TERM OF APPOINTMENT: 12 months; additional 12 months with partial or complete funding contingent on grant funding.
TO APPLY: To apply, please go to the following link: https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/apply/JPF02360. Applicants should submit cover letter, curriculum vitae. Documents/materials must be submitted as PDF files. Applicants should also provide three letters of recommendation.
QUESTIONS: Please direct questions to Dr. Deanne Meyer, firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/dod4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain UCSC positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check. More information is available http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
UC Davis is a smoke & tobacco-free campus (http://breathfree.ucdavis.edu/.)
If you need accommodation due to a disability, please contact the recruiting department.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Diversity contributions documented in the application file will be used to evaluate applicants. Visit http://academicaffairs.ucdavis.edu/diversity/equity_inclusion/index.html for guidelines about writing a diversity statement and why one is requested. (Optional)
- 3-5 letters of reference required
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information