Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The University of California, Davis, School of Medicine, Department of Pharmacology invites applications for a full-time academic position in the Professional Research series, working title for this position is Core Director of Cardiovascular Research Institute.
The successful candidate should have research interests in Cardiovascular Research. This position assists the Directors and administrator of the Cardiovascular Research Institute (CVRI) in overseeing the operations of 4 CVRI Research Cores, and directly manages the Cellular and Molecular Core. Defines research projects and molecular and cellular tool development for use in studies by CVRI laboratories, carries out research projects and trains other lab personnel in various techniques and the use of research equipment. Performs complex laboratory and data collection techniques. Assists in preparation and submission of shared instrument and other grant applications.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with and managing the following Cores within CVRI a. Cell/Molecular Core b. Animal Model Core c. Imaging Core d. Computational modelling Core
- Directly run the Cell/Molecular Core
• Assist the CVRI Directors in preparation and submission of shared instrument grants.
• Oversee the operation and maintenance of highly-specialized instrumentation. Supervise the backup and storage of research data and materials acquired at the facility.
• Assist Directors and Administrators with respect to the facility’s financial management, such as lab budgeting using accounting practices, interact with finance directors and IT to deliver invoices in a timely fashion.
• Interact with related UC Davis Core facilities to optimize efficiency and minimize redundancy in services provided.
• Consult with prospective users (Faculty, clinicians, fellows and graduate students) on an appropriate methodology to accomplish their research goals.
• Develop objectives and design of research and data collection procedures.
• Conceptualize, initiate and execute research goals for projects.
• Conduct and coordinate advanced research experiments. Analyze and interpret data and results and refine experimental design.
• Develop and write advanced experimental protocols.
• Evaluate current developments and research findings to determine their potential applicability to research projects.
• Replicate, refine and add/develop new research approaches based on project needs.
• Advise on new direction for research based on experimental results.
• Ensure compliance of the CVRI with lab safety and regulatory policies at UC Davis.
• Oversee scheduling and operation of the Cell/Molecular Core facility with production of research tools that may include:
o production of high-titer viral vector preparations, including but not limited to adenovirus, adeno-associated (AAV), lentivirus, retrovirus vectors and CRISPR/Cas9 related viral vector needs.
o Plasmid construction and production, growth, and transfection of packaging cell lines, concentration of viral preparations, titer determination of viral stocks maintain stock viruses of general interest to CVRI members.
o Develop stable cell lines expressing specific genetically encoded proteins.
o iPSC-derived myocyte cultures (cardiac and vascular smooth muscle) and optimize culture conditions to provide adequate maturation state and consistency for use by multiple labs.
o provide consultation for experimental design, viral vector plasmid construction, protocol development, and user training.
o perform or aid with in vitro and in vivo experiments using viral vectors.
• Coordinate with the Core directors for Animal Models, Imaging and Computational Modeling Cores to facilitate integrated operation.
• Facilitate access to or prepare isolated adult and neonatal cardiomyocytes for UC Davis research community.
• Monitor project developments on an ongoing basis and implement changes as needed.
• Prepare, organize and communicate research results. Write papers, grants, and other documents for publication based on research findings.
• Author and co-author articles for publication and present at scientific symposia and conferences.
• Staff Management:
o Act as supervisor or team lead in directing and coordinating the work of technical level staff. Guide, train and advise researchers and students on techniques, methods and procedures.
o Plan, assign and review work of staff to ensure that group objectives are met. Hire, train, develop and manage staff to ensure that a qualified staff exists to meet group objectives’.
• A minimum of a Master’s degree in biology or related field required.
• A minimum of 5 years of laboratory animal research experience and analytical techniques. Possess and apply advanced knowledge of research principles, concepts, practices and methods. Proficiency in specific lab research techniques.
• A minimum of 5 years of experience working with viral vectors
• A minimum of 5 years of lab management experience required.
• A minimum of 5 years laboratory maintenance, including equipment maintenance, inventory maintenance, communication with vendors and installation required.
• PhD degree in science preferred.
• Experience in research core facility management preferred.
For full consideration, applications should be received by September 30, 2018; however, the position will remain open until filled through June 30, 2019. Applicants should upload their letter of interest, curriculum vitae, 6-8 letters of recommendation from references, statement of contributions to diversity, and a research statement is required. Including up to three significant publications is preferred but not required. All documents need to be uploaded as PDF files online at: https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/apply/JPF02319.
The Pharmacology Department is housed in the UC Davis Genome Building and Tupper Hall with Department Chair, Dr. Donald M. Bers, Ph.D. The Department has strong links to the Cardiovascular Research Program, Center for Neuroscience, Physiology and Membrane Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Genome Center, and UC Davis Health System Cancer Center. The Davis campus is the third largest in the University of California system and ranks among the nation’s top 20 universities in research funding.
For more information about the Department of Pharmacology, please visit our website at: http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/pharmacology.
UC Davis commits to inclusion excellence by advancing equity, diversity and inclusion in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain UCSC positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check. More information is available http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
UC Davis is a smoke & tobacco-free campus (http://breathefree.ucdavis.edu/).
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Letter of Interest
Statement of Research
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Diversity contributions documented in the application file will be used to evaluate applicants. Visit http://academicaffairs.ucdavis.edu/diversity/equity_inclusion/index.html for guidelines about writing a diversity statement and why one is requested.
Publication #1 (Optional)
Publication #2 (Optional)
Publication #3 (Optional)
- 6-8 letters of reference required
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information