Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The University of California, Davis School of Medicine is recruiting for TWO full-time Assistant or Associate Professor rank Clinician Educator and Scholars in the Health Sciences Clinical Professor series in the Department of Family and Community Medicine.
Candidates must possess an MD/DO, be Board certified or eligible for certification in Family Medicine, and be eligible for licensure in the State of California.
The position will be expected to contribute with distinction in the areas of teaching, mentoring of trainees, clinical care, and University and public service. Responsibilities include direct clinical care. Teaching is required and will include supervision of medical students, residents, and fellows in clinical settings. The percent time devoted to clinical care, teaching, and mentoring of trainees will be negotiated with the Department Head.
As the region's only academic health center, UC Davis Health is focused on discovering, applying, and sharing knowledge and providing the highest quality of care. UC Davis Health is a hub of innovation that encompasses UC Davis Medical Center, UC Davis School of Medicine, The Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing at UC Davis and UC Davis Medical Group (additional information about these entities is included below). UC Davis and UC Davis Health also commit to inclusion excellence by advancing equity, diversity and inclusion in all that we do. We particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who share in our vision to achieve a diverse and inclusive community. The UC Davis Medical Center has been recognized by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation, the nation’s largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) organization, as a “Leader in LGBT Healthcare Equality” in its annual Healthcare Equality Index report for the seventh year in a row.
We serve an incredibly diverse population of urban and rural patients, with a focus on care of the under-served, and fully engage in the educational, research and service missions of the University of California.
Specific core duties, functions and responsibilities:
• Supervise, precept, and teach residents and students in clinical settings, with a particular emphasis on care of the underserved in the family medicine teaching center, UCD Hospital, and community partner sites (e.g., Federally Qualified Health Centers [FQHCs]).
• Contribute to positive and supportive environment conducive resident and student learning
• Participate in developing, implementing, and overseeing new curricula and curricular elements for resident and student education
• Participate in developing didactics and providing presentations for residents and students.
• Participate in recruiting new students and residents, through reviewing applications, contacting potential candidates, participating in interviews, and other aspects of recruitment.
• Participate in guiding and overseeing resident and student quality improvement and scholarly activities
• Participate in evaluating residents and students
• Facility with basic ACGME standards for family medicine residency programs.
• Participate in Departmental team building.
• Participate in the faculty development, both as a leader and life-long learner
• Participate in meetings and committees at various levels (e.g., Department, School, health system, University, community)
• Collaborate with local stakeholders in medical education (e.g., UCD Health, School of Medicine, other training programs, community partners), to align educational priorities and identify improvement strategies to drive future training success and competitiveness.
• Complete clinical documentation, learner evaluations, and other faculty requirements in a timely manner.
Knowledge, skills, abilities, and attitudes:
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, patients and the public.
• Ability to lead and work effectively in inter-professional teams (in teaching, clinical care, and other realms)
• Keen understanding of residency training requirements specified by governing bodies such as the ACGME
• Basic understanding of health clinic processes and operations.
• Skill in accessing, analyzing, and applying medical literature to clinical practice.
• Excellent organizational, presentation and communication skills.
• Ability to collect, analyze and present data in a meaningful way to a wide variety of audiences with various skill levels and various levels of expertise and knowledge.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• A growth mindset that embraces the need for life-long learning and improvement
The candidates must have the following qualifications:
• The MD/DO and successful completion of an approved family medicine residency training program.
• Demonstrated experience in the teaching of students and house staff.
• Ability to obtain a Medical License in the State of California. Be Board certified or board eligible in Family Medicine.
• Recent outpatient clinical practice.
• Demonstrated community service.
• Ability to work cooperatively and collegially within a diverse environment, with demonstrated experience mentoring women, people from ethnic/racial minority groups, students with disabilities, and other under-represented groups.
• Ability to adhere to policies and procedures of the University.
Preferred but not required are:
• Recent involvement in inpatient hospital and obstetrical care
• Experience with Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs)
The position will be open until filled through June 30, 2019.
Qualified applicants should upload an up-to-date curriculum vitae and statement of teaching to https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/apply/JPF02302. Statement of teaching should discuss experience teaching medical school students, mentoring residents, and providing inpatient and outpatient clinical care, including obstetrical care. The Search Committee also requires the names of three to five references with accurate contact information.
The University of California, Davis is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of diversity among its faculty, staff and students. This recruitment is conducted at the Assistant/Associate Professor rank. The resulting hire will be at the Assistant/Associate rank, regardless of the proposed appointee's qualifications.
UC Davis commits to inclusion excellence by advancing equity, diversity and inclusion in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. For the complete University of California
nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct. If you need accommodation due to a disability, please contact the recruiting department.
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check. More information is available http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
UC Davis is a smoke & tobacco-free campus (http://breathefree.ucdavis.edu/).
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Teaching
- 3-8 required (contact information only)
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information