The Department of Dermatology at the University of California, Davis invites applications for a qualified Junior Specialist, which will assist in and conduct translational research under the direction of Dr. Samuel Hwang. This position will be up to 100% time.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DESIGNATED AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
RESEARCH IN SPECIALIZED AREAS (85% EFFORT)
• Induce, observe and analyze mice with cutaneous inflammatory conditions, skin wounds or tumors
• Histological and immunohistochemical analysis of skin and other mouse or human tissue, including embedding, sectioning, staining, data processing, image analysis and statistical analysis of data.
• Assist with surgical procedures, preparing, performing and collecting data from mouse wound and other experiments.
• Perform flow cytometry and cell culture studies, prepare cells, and analyze data.
• Perform RT-PCR, molecular cloning and other biochemical/molecular biology techniques as assigned by PI.
• Be very familiar with the use of specialized high fat, high sugar diets (including Western Diets) to modulate inflammatory risk in mice.
• Familiar with the basics of care and use of animals (e.g., mice) in medical research.
• Be comfortable using Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint for data analysis and presentation.
• Prepare and send laboratory experimental reports to PI as requested.
• Compile data into presentable graphical format and provide written details of analytic methods used, sufficient for inclusion in publications.
PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCE AND ACTIVITY (10% EFFORT)
• Participate in appropriate professional/technical groups and other educational and research organizations. For example, this may include attending and presenting at the UC Davis Epithelial Biology Club, attending Hwang lab meeting, and potentially attending one national conference in which the Junior Specialist will present data that she/he have generated (at discretion of PI).
UNIVERSITY AND PUBLIC SERVICE (5% EFFORT)
• Participate in activities of Lab Safety Committee (Departmental)
• Bachelor's degree in Biological Sciences, or related field
• Able to compile, understand, and interpret data
• Ability to work cooperatively within a diverse environment
• 1 year of laboratory experience (required)
• Knowledge of IRB and clinical trials preferred
Step 1 $18.26 per hour- [100%] or Step II - $19.48 per hour [100%], Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This position is open effective June 20, 2018 with an initial review date of July 4, 2018. The position will be open until filled.
Short term, seasonal appointment based on the needs of the research project. Appointments may be made up to 100%.
Qualified applicants should upload a cover letter detailing their qualifications for the position, a PDF of their curriculum vitae and contact information for 3 references online at: https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/apply/JPF02238
Please direct questions to Valerie Bartole at email@example.com .
UC Davis commits to inclusion excellence by advancing equity, diversity and inclusion in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain UCSC positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidates to pass an E-Verify check. More information is available http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
UC Davis is a smoke & tobacco-free campus (http://breathefree.ucdavis.edu/).
If you need accommodation due to a disability, please contact the recruiting department.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)