Five (5) Junior Specialist positions in the laboratories of faculty participating in PREP@UCD, a postbaccalaureate research training program at UC Davis. A Junior Specialist position is limited to a two-year term. Specific responsibilities will depend on the match between successful applicants and faculty mentors. All successful applicants will be responsible for performing publication-quality research in cell, molecular, and developmental biology and completing a program of professional development.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Junior Specialists will be involved in studies focusing on questions in cell, molecular, and developmental biology. Candidates will be expected to devote 30 hours per week to research, which may involve laboratory work, computation, data analysis, participating in laboratory group and other meetings, and assisting with writing manuscripts for publication. In the lab, 95% of effort will be research and 5% mentoring undergraduates or others in the lab. The candidate will have strong interpersonal, communication, and decision-making skills; as well as the ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS: These positions are funded by the US National Institutes of Health, which mandates the following basic qualifications.
• hold a bachelor’s degree in a biomedically relevant science from an accredited US college or university awarded no more than 36 months prior to applying
• be citizens or permanent residents of the US
• be a member of a group underrepresented in biomedical research as defined by the NIH National Institute of General Medical Sciences, i.e., African American, Latino, Native American, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander, or disabled.
• intend to pursue doctoral study in the biomedical sciences, i.e., a PhD, MD/PhD, DDS/PhD, or DVM/PhD degree.
In addition, applicants must have at minimum an overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0, and must be able to keep a complete and detailed laboratory notebook of experimental procedures and data and to archive, label and document graphic and tabular data for publication, proposals, and/or presentations.
List of 5 PREP@UCD Faculty - A list of 5 PREP@UCD Faculty you would like to work with
Statement of Purpose
Statement of Past Research Experience
- 3 letters of reference required