The Liu lab in the Department of Animal Science at the University of California, Davis is currently seeking a Junior Specialist, 50% time for duration of 6 months with the possibility of extension depending on funding.
This position will be involved in interdisciplinary studies focusing on questions in animal nutrition, immunology, physiology, and possible microbiology. Successful candidates will also participate in animal trials and laboratory studies. General responsibilities include: laboratory support (maintaining lab, organizing lab, and lab supply ordering), animal trial support (setting up facilities, feeding animals, and collecting samples), and sample analysis and data management. Otherwise, junior specialists will be actively and significantly involved in reviewing journal articles, engaging in discussions on research and the interpretation of research results, participating in appropriate professional societies or groups and other educational and research organizations, presenting research data in lab meeting or society annual conferences, and publishing manuscripts. The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal, communication, and decision-making skills, as well as the ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
• Bachelor degree in Animal Science or a related field with a minimum of 2 years’ experience in laboratory and/or animal nutrition related research.
• Ability to organize supplies for laboratory and small animal study.
• Skills to provide on-farm data collection and laboratory assistance with proximate analysis for feed.
• Skills following research sampling protocol to handle and transport samples, and maintain records from sampling events and laboratory analyses.
• Knowledge and skills working with Microsoft suite (Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint) for information outreach, data management and summation.
PREFERRED QULIFICATIONS (OPTIONAL):
• Animal nutrition education background.
• Experience working at feed companies or livestock farms.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/dod4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain UCSC positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check. More information is available http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
UC Davis is a smoke & tobacco-free campus (http://breathfree.ucdavis.edu/.)
If you need accommodation due to a disability, please contact the recruiting department.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)