Open date: November 30, 2023
Most recent review date: Thursday, Dec 14, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Monday, Mar 11, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Hess Lab in the Department of Animal Science at the University of California Davis is recruiting for a full time Specialists at the Associate or Specialist rank.
The position of Specialist has a narrow focus in a specialized area and provides technical or specialized expertise in the planning and execution of a research project. The Specialist stays apprised of emerging issues and problems and maintains technical competence in the designated area(s) of specialization. Within this defined area and when appropriate, the Specialist is expected to provide leadership, facilitate teamwork, and develop collaborative relationships with colleagues and to supply input into the planning of research and educational programs. Normally, Specialists do not have Principal Investigator (PI) status but may obtain permission by exception and/or collaborate with a PI in preparing research proposals for extramural funding. The Specialist is evaluated for merit and promotion using three basic criteria outlined below.
The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of Dr. Matthias Hess and the ability to work cooperatively and collegially in a diverse environment will be essential.
I. RESEARCH IN SPECIALIZED AREAS (93% EFFORT)
A. Collaborate with other research and extension personnel affiliated with research activities. Evaluation of performance in research activities or in outreach activities as deemed applicable to the individual project in specialized areas, as documented by any of the following:
1) Publications that acknowledge the Specialist's significant and meaningful contribution to the work.
2) Publications on which the Specialist is an author.
3) Other evidence (e.g., letters from collaborators or principal investigators) that work done by the Specialist contributed to publishable research.
4) Active dissemination of information (beyond the boundaries of the campus) through informal instruction, presentations, or other means stemming from the Specialist's research accomplishments.
5) Other evidence of recognized expertise may include formal documentation of intellectual effort and participation in publishable research activities, first authorship on publications/patents, presentation of research at regional/national meetings, invitations to review grant proposals and/or journal articles, invitations to participate in research projects, and/or service on advisory panels.
B. Serve as a research coordinator for projects conducted by PIs in the department, as resources permit. Responsible for ensuring uninterrupted communication between individual laboratories, data management and preparation of reports tailored to meet the needs of the requesting individual(s).
II. PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCE AND ACTIVITY (5% EFFORT)
A. Participate in appropriate professional/technical societies or groups and other educational and research organizations.
B. Review research proposals, journal manuscripts, and publications related to area of expertise.
III. UNIVERSITY AND PUBLIC SERVICE (2% EFFORT)
A. May maintain liaison and respond to the needs of various industry organizations, state and federal agencies, and other external groups on issues related to area of expertise.
B. Participate in activities of committees within the department, college, campus and other University entities, as appropriate.
This recruitment is conducted at the associate specialist/specialist rank. The resulting hire will be at the associate specialist/specialist rank, regardless of the proposed appointee's qualifications.
• Veterinary degree or PhD in Animal Science or related subject area.
• Experience in working with anaerobic microbes.
• Experience in conducting host-microbe interaction studies with extensive
knowledge on both mammalian and bacterial genetics.
• Experience in microbiome data generation and analysis.
• Experience in molecular biology techniques, especially on high throughput sequencing technologies and data analysis, protein expression and purification
• Knowledge on carbohydrate active enzymes, ruminant physiology, metabolism,
• Knowledge and experience on fiber-microbe interaction,
• Experience in operation and maintenance of Agilent GC-MS instruments.
• Experience on mammalian cell culture techniques
• Experience in writing SOPs and supervision and mentoring of staff, graduate, and
• Strong communication skills, both written and oral and strong track record of
• Experience in participating in multifunctional, collaborative projects and
providing leadership and technical support for different projects.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion documented in the application file will be used to evaluate applicants. Visit https://academicaffairs.ucdavis.edu/faculty-equity-and-inclusion for guidelines about writing a statement and why one is requested.
- 3-5 letters of reference required
Help contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
About UC Davis
UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco-free campus (http://breathefree.ucdavis.edu/).
We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals’ with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain UC Davis positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check. More information is available at: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify
The University of California, Davis (UC Davis) is committed to inclusive excellence by advancing equity, diversity and inclusion in all that we do. UC Davis celebrates the multi-cultural diversity of its community by creating a welcoming and inclusive environment demonstrated through a variety of resources and programs available to academics, staff, and students. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging are core values of UC Davis that are embedded within our Principles of Community and are tied with how to best serve our student population. Our excellence in research, teaching, and service can best be fully realized by members of our academic community who share our commitment to these values, which are included in our Diversity and Inclusion Strategic Vision, our strategic plan: “To Boldly Go,” our Principles of Community, the Office of Academic Affairs’ Mission Statement, and the UC Board of Regents Policy 4400: Policy on University of California Diversity Statement. UC Davis is making important progress towards our goal of achieving federal designation as a Hispanic-Serving Institution and an Asian American, Native American, and Pacific Islander-Serving Institution. The Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion offers a plethora of resources on their website, and the Office of Health Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (HEDI) has outlined similar goals in their Anti-Racism and DEI Action Plan.” There are a plethora of links available on the About Us webpage where you can learn more about our Administration, Diversity and Inclusion, Rankings, Locations, Native American Land Acknowledgement, Sustainability, Visiting UC Davis, UC Davis Health, and Campus Safety.
The university is consistently ranked among the top institutions in the world for campus sustainability practices by the UI Green Metric World University Rankings. UC Davis is focused on achieving net-zero greenhouse gas emissions and repeatedly shown its commitment to preserving a healthy and sustainable environment for generations to come.
As a University employee, you will be required to comply with all applicable University policies and/or collective bargaining agreements, as may be amended from time to time. Federal, state, or local government directives may impose additional requirements.