Open date: May 28th, 2021
Last review date: Friday, Jun 11, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Friday, Dec 31, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
NATURE AND PURPOSE
The Professional Researcher develops and manages their independent and high-quality research projects and leadership for his/her research programs. The appointee acts as Principal Investigator or research lead within large interdisciplinary grants with his/her independent activities, and within his/her own independent research program.
I. RESEARCH (80%)
The candidate is required to develop an independent research program on impact of nutrition and role of dietary bioactives on development and prevention of vascular-related diseases. The candidate will be required to utilize integrated nutrigenomics and bioinformatics tools and approaches to identify cellular and molecular mechanisms involved. The candidate will be expected to develop and conduct studies designed to determine:
- Impact of diets and macro/micronutrients on (neuro)vascular (dys)function and consequences on cardiovascular related diseases, cognitive function and neurodegenerative disorders, in-vivo studies
- Role of micronutrients (plant food bioactives particularly polyphenols) and foods rich in these bioactives on maintaining vascular and neurovascular function with aging and/or under adverse diets, in-vivo studies
- Impact of gender on responses to the diets/nutrients
- Role of gut microbiome on the observed effects
- Validation of results with in-vitro experiments
- Identification of molecular mechanisms of action of these diets/nutrients using integrated multi-omic approach (genomic, epigenomic (DNA methylation, miRNA, lncRNA,…), protein modifications) and use of broad bioinformatic tools to analyze omic data, both in-vivo and in-vitro The candidate will be expected to:
- Use computational methods for large scale data analysis available in the genomic databases
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed journals as senior author
- Acquire funding to support an independent research program Other research duties include:
- Manage the budget and the project according to management principles
- Write and submit progress reports to funding agencies
- Train, consult with, and advise graduate students and post-doctoral researchers with regard to experimental design and data analysis of studies
II. PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCE AND ACTIVITY (10%)
The candidate will participate in professional societies and conferences appropriate to his/her specific field. He/she will serve as a reviewer of research proposals and scientific publications. The candidate will attend seminars to present research results and give research presentations.
III.UNIVERSITY AND PUBLIC SERVICE (10%)
University and Public Service is required for the Associate Faculty ranks. The candidate will engage in University service activities such as guest lecturing and committee service. The candidate will also engage in public outreach activities that include presenting scientific research results to the general public and providing relevant advice to individuals or public agencies.
• Candidate must possess a Ph.D. degree and at least 10 years of experience in research on
nutrition, health, integrated multi-genomics, expertise in dietary bioactive compounds,
experience in in-vitro and in-vivo studies, as well as strong bioinformatics skills in the area
of cardiovascular and neurovascular research.
• Demonstrate ability to obtain funding through extramurally funded grants
• Document a successful and independent research and successful publication record
• Demonstrate mentoring experience with undergraduate, and graduate students
• Provide evidence of interest and ability to participate on committees at the department,
school or campus level
• Provide evidence of a network of collaborations with potential to build a vigorous and
collaborative research program
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research
Copies of at least five representative publications
Statement of Contributions to Diversity and Equity Inclusion - Contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion documented in the application file will be used to evaluate applicants. Visit https://academicaffairs.ucdavis.edu/faculty-equity-and-inclusion for guidelines about writing a statement and why one is requested.
- 4-6 letters of reference required
Help contact: firstname.lastname@example.org