Open date: March 29th, 2021
Next review date: Monday, Apr 19, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Monday, Jul 5, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
We are recruiting for a postdoctoral scientist position at the University of California Davis to work in the Grettenberger lab (field and vegetable crop entomology IPM). This postdoctoral scientist will be working on a project addressing the management and biology of an invasive pest lepidopteran of tomatoes, Tuta absoluta. The start date will be as soon as possible. The position will be based in Davis, CA with field research conducted off-campus and throughout the Central Valley. The postdoc will work with other UC Davis and off-campus researchers as well as grower and pest control advisor cooperators. They will join a vibrant community addressing research and extension in entomology, agriculture, and ecology with opportunities to develop additional projects.
The successful applicant will help implement and lead a project developing tools to manage the South American tomato leafminer, Tuta absoluta, should it be introduced into California.
Primary activities will include:
- Using bioassays at the Contained Research Facility to evaluate efficacy of organic and conventional insecticides.
- Identifying indigenous parasitoids that may attack T. abosoluta and the potential role of parasitoid control in California.
- Determining the host suitability of wild Solanum spp. from South America and investigate interactions between T. absoluta and these species.
- Using research results to develop an integrated program for managing T. absoluta should it be introduced and develop extension materials.
• Doctoral degree in entomology or ecological/agricultural discipline (e.g., agronomy, applied ecology, plant sciences), with a background in entomology
• Demonstrated scientific writing skills
• Must be willing and capable of driving to and working in outdoor agricultural locations in hot weather. Overnight travel associated with research may occasionally be required.
• Field/agricultural/applied entomology research experience.
• Experience working with pesticides and conducting bioassays.
• Demonstrated publication record.
• Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team.
• Evidence of successful communication through scientific and/or extension presentations and materials.
• Demonstrated quantitative expertise and statistical skills.
• Experience analyzing data using R.
• Experience producing extension materials from scientific results.
• Ability to work independently and cooperatively with stakeholders.
Salary and conditions
Full-time salary and benefits included. Salary and benefits are consistent with UC Davis policy and commensurate with applicant experience.
This position is for 1 year with the possibility of reappointment up to 3 years based on funding availability and satisfactory performance.
Applicants should submit their cover letter (discussing research/extension interests, research/extension experience, and interest in/fit for the position), CV, up to three representative publications (optional), and the names (with email addresses) of at least two references using the “Apply Now” button below as soon as possible, but latest April 19 for full consideration. Applicants are also encouraged to submit a brief (< 1 page) Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. Late applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376.
For further information, questions, or to discuss the position, please contact:
Ian Grettenberger, Department of Entomology & Nematology, University of California, Davis (email@example.com )
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion documented in the application file will be used to evaluate applicants. Visit https://academicaffairs.ucdavis.edu/faculty-equity-and-inclusion for guidelines about writing a statement and why one is requested.
Publication #1 (Optional)
Publication #2 (Optional)
Publication #3 (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)