Open date: December 7th, 2020
Last review date: Monday, Dec 21, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Wednesday, Jun 30, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Assistant Specialist will be mainly involved in coordination, management, and maintenance of biospecimens for translational research performing tissue-related technologies, processing blood and other tissue samples, storing and tracking tissue samples, providing tissues to researchers, maintaining a database, as well as miscellaneous supporting work for the laboratory operations under the supervision of Dr. Li. Specifically, the duties include: 1) to coordinate the collection and storage of tissue specimens, to dispose of unneeded specimens, and to maintain an updated specimen database, 2) to communicate with various investigators and to perform tissue-related translational research under PI's discretion, 3) to present research at weekly laboratory meetings and to discuss the progress of the research projects with the PI, 4) to assist research summary for grant and scientific writing for presentation and publication, and 5) to provide miscellaneous support to the laboratory and operational activities.
• Help design the protocol, coordinate, and manage research biopsy and sample utilization programs
• Manage datasets, records, and research documentation
• Mentor student employees in the laboratory as required
• Conduct, oversee, and provide creative feedback on the following laboratory techniques:
1) research blood/biospecimen sample processing;
2) DNA/RNA/exosomes/protein extraction and assays;
3) flow cytometry;
4) database input and management;
5) tissue sample tracking and distribution;
6) quality control; and
7) tissue-related translational research includes but is not limited to primary culture, patient-derived xenograft models.
• Correctly use and maintain laboratory equipment such as micro-plate reader, balances, centrifuges, microscopes, pipettes, cryostat, and laminar flow hoods
• Update, modify and revise plans for standard laboratory procedures to fulfill each research project's needs.
• Other related jobs assigned by supervisor
PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCE (15%):
• The incumbent will have opportunities to develop interpersonal and communication skills in cancer research via coordination between clinicians, laboratory staff, and multidisciplinary researchers.
• The incumbent will have opportunities to develop presentation abilities in laboratory meetings, departmental meetings, and other on-campus events.
• The incumbent will be given the opportunities to organize clinical research activities such as clinicopathological correlation and biomarker discovery. In this capacity, the incumbent is encouraged to read appropriate literature and discuss it during laboratory meetings.
• The incumbent will be encouraged to have a membership with appropriate societies and participate in appropriate meetings and groups on-campus.
UNIVERSITY AND PUBLIC SERVICE (10%):
• Mentorship of new laboratory members, volunteer and undergraduate students
• Medical degree in biological sciences or a related field
• Willingness to work outside of typical hours to facilitate patient tissue procurement to lab program includes possible phone calls nights and weekends.
• Proficient computer skills including spreadsheet and database software
• Ability to work with rodent tissue, human tissue, and human cell lines
• Ability to abide by safety and patient privacy regulations. Able to safely work with tissue fixatives, dry ice, and liquid nitrogen
• Flexible to changing demands of research tasks
• Professional approach to work and attention to detail
• Ability to review the literature and follow the protocols of others'
• Enthusiastic in learning new lab skills
Qualified applicants should upload a letter of interest, contact information for five references and their curriculum vitae online at https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/JPF03926
For first full consideration, applications must be received by December 21, 2020. This position will remain open until filled through June 30, 2021.
This recruitment is conducted at the Assistant/Associate rank. The resulting hire will be at the Assistant/Associate rank, regardless of the proposed appointee's qualifications.
The University of California, Davis is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of diversity among its faculty, staff, and students.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. More information is available http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
UC Davis is a smoke- and tobacco-free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) will be strictly prohibited on any property owned or leased by UC Davis- indoors and outdoors, including parking lots, and residential space.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion documented in the application file will be used to evaluate applicants. Visit https://academicaffairs.ucdavis.edu/faculty-equity-and-inclusion for guidelines about writing a statement and why one is requested.
- 5 required (contact information only)