Open date: September 4th, 2020
Last review date: Friday, Sep 25, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Saturday, Dec 5, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Oken Lab [https://okenk.github.io/] at the University of California Davis Department of Wildlife, Fish, & Conservation Biology [http://wfcb.ucdavis.edu/] seeks to fill a 2-year post-doctoral researcher position. The successful candidate will have broad latitude to design a project of their own interest under the theme of quantitative fisheries ecology and management, under the mentorship of Dr. Oken. Possible topics include quantifying the benefits of different types of fishing portfolios, development and sensitivity-testing of multi-species models for management and conservation, or development and testing of statistical methods in fisheries and ecology (e.g., time series).
UC Davis has a thriving Coastal and Marine Sciences Institute [http://cmsi.ucdavis.edu/] which regularly hosts workshops and opportunities to meet with seminar speakers, a marine lab at Bodega Bay, a high performance supercomputing cluster the candidate would be able to utilize, and a wealth of world-class expertise in marine ecology, marine resource management, and data science. Scientists at UC Davis, including the Oken Lab, regularly collaborate with federal and local resource management agencies in the pursuit of applied research.
The scholar will receive mentoring on professional development (for careers both within and outside academia), in addition to support conducting research. The position can be held remotely for the duration of the COVID pandemic, after which location is negotiable.
• Conduct and coordinate research projects
• Interact with and mentor graduate students in the lab
• Be an active member of the UC Davis community, attending seminars and lab meetings
• Prepare manuscripts for publication
• Present research at professional meetings
• Ph.D. in fisheries, marine science, quantitative ecology, applied statistics, natural resource economics, or related field by the start of appointment
• Experience with scientific programming in any relevant language (e.g., R, Matlab, Julia, C++, Python)
• Commitment to fostering an inclusive and diversity-affirming lab
Preference will be given to applicants with:
• Research experience in marine fisheries
• Demonstrated ability to write and publish papers
• Familiarity with version control systems (e.g., Git/GitHub)
• Experience with customizable statistical packages such as TMB and Stan
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Minimum salary will be $55,596. Benefits for postdoctoral scholars at UC Davis include health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, as well as an employer-contributed retirement plan.
TERM OF APPOINTMENT
The position is 100% for 12 months initially, renewable for an additional 12-month period contingent on satisfactory progress.
Review of applications will begin September 25, 2020. The position will remain open until filled with a preferred start date on or before January 4, 2021.
APPLICATION / HOW TO APPLY
● To apply, please go to the following link: [https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/JPF03753].
Applicants should submit the following:
- Cover letter (< 1 page)
- Research statement (1-2 pages) describing postdoctoral research interests and goals
- Copy of one peer-reviewed publication
- Names and contact information of 3 references
Applications received by September 25, 2020 will receive preference.
For further information about the position, contact Dr. Kiva Oken [email@example.com] with “Post-doctoral research position” in the subject.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: [http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct]
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and
Control Act of 1986. Certain UCSC positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check. More information is available at [http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify]. UC Davis is a smoke & tobacco-free campus [http://breathefree.ucdavis.edu/].
If you need accommodation due to a disability, please contact the recruiting department.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research - (1-2 pages) describing postdoctoral research interests and goals
Copy of one peer-reviewed publication
- 3 required (contact information only)