Open date: August 11th, 2020
Last review date: Wednesday, Aug 26, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Saturday, Oct 31, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Jr. Specialist, Grettenberger lab
We aim to hire a Junior Specialist, Step 1 to conduct research in integrated pest management and insect ecology, focused on an invasive pest of cruciferous crops. The Junior Specialist will help run studies on management and biology of the Swede midge. Primary duties will involve designing lab experiments, executing lab studies, preparing field supplies, managing data, and summarizing results.
The appointment will initially be made for one year, Sept. 15, 2020 – Sept. 14, 2021, with reappointment possible for a second year based on performance.
Research (80%): The incumbent of this position will be actively and significantly involved in publishable research activities through the following roles and duties:
- Assist in establishing a Swede midge colony under quarantine conditions.
- Assist the PI and other lab members with climate matching studies and laboratory experiments on pest development.
- Assist with field sampling and laboratory experiments to evaluate the role of California weeds on potential population dynamics of Swede midge.
- Assist in evaluating various insecticides for Swede midge management using laboratory bioassays.
- Assist the PI or other lab members in manuscript preparation, including but not limited to: reading academic literature, writing manuscript sections, and revising manuscripts based on conducted work.
Professional competence (15%):
- The incumbent will present research, with possibilities at extension meetings, regional entomology meetings, or national entomology meetings. The incumbent will deliver presentations in poster and/or oral formats.
- The incumbent will be encouraged to participate in weekly lab meetings, weekly meetings of the joint insect ecology laboratory meetings held within the Department of Entomology and Nematology, and to attend weekly seminars in the Department of Entomology and Nematology.
- The incumbent will be encouraged to have membership with the Entomological Society of America.
University and Public Service (5%):
- As a component of university service, the incumbent will also be asked to serve on one or more department committees, such as the Department Safety Committee or the Facilities Committee.
- As a public service, the incumbent will also be encouraged to participate in outreach activities, such as those held as part of events hosted by the Bohart Museum of Entomology, the Department of Entomology and Nematology or conducted independently by the Grettenberger lab.
This position requires a minimum of a Bachelor of Science or equivalent degree (Biology, Entomology, Ecology, or similar field).
The ideal candidate will have the ability to work well independently and as part of a team. They will also have strong interpersonal, communication, organizational, and decision-making skills.
Other preferred, but not required, qualifications are:
• Experience rearing and optimizing rearing of insects
• Experience with greenhouse and/or growth chamber plant studies
• Experience working with conventional and organic insecticides
• Experience conducting field agricultural research
NOTE: The junior specialist rank is an entry level position; accordingly, it is inappropriate to hire applicants with advanced degrees in this field, or those with bachelor’s degrees and three years’ relevant work experience. (See APM-UCD 330)
SALARY RANGE: Step I - $44,500 annually
TERM OF APPOINTMENT: Full-Time (100%) September 15, 2020 – September 14, 2021, with reappointment possible for a second year based on performance.
JOB LOCATION: Department of Entomology and Nematology, Davis, CA
TO APPLY: To apply, please click the "Apply Now" button below. Please provide (1) a cover letter that describes your related interests, experiences, and career goals, (2) a current CV, (3) contact information for three references that may be consulted.
The University of California, Davis, is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer with a strong institutional commitment to the development of a climate that supports equality of opportunity and respect for differences. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
UC Davis is a smoke- and tobacco free-campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) will be strictly prohibited on any property owned or leased by UC Davis -- indoors and outdoors including parking lots and residential spaces.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion documented in the application file will be used to evaluate applicants. Visit https://academicaffairs.ucdavis.edu/faculty-equity-and-inclusion for guidelines about writing a statement and why one is requested.
- 3-4 required (contact information only)