Open date: August 1st, 2020
Next review date: Sunday, Aug 16, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Wednesday, Jun 30, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Department of Dermatology at the University of California, Davis invites applications for one part time qualified Junior Specialist position. As a Junior Specialist, the candidates will assume responsibilities in assisting and conducting Clinical research under the direction of Dr. Victor Huang.
NATURE AND PURPOSE
The position of Specialist has a narrow focus in a specialized area and provided technical or specialized expertise (e.g., with instrumentation and research equipment or with social science research methods) in the planning and execution of a research project. The Specialist stays apprised of emerging issues and problems and maintains technical competence in the designated area(s) of specialization. Within this defined area and when appropriate, the Specialist is expected to provide leadership, facilitate teamwork and develop collaborative relationships with colleagues and to supply input into the planning of research and educational programs. Normally, Specialists do not have a Principal Investigator (PI) status but may obtain permission by exception and/or collaborate with a PI in preparing research proposals for extramural funding. The Specialist is evaluated for merit and promotion using three basic criteria outlined below.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DESIGNATED AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
Dr. Huang's clinical research team conducts epidemiologic research and clinical trials specializing in patients with vitiligo, an autoimmune condition affecting the pigment making cells of the skin. Dr. Huang is the director of the UC Davis Vitiligo Clinic. His research has been supported by the university and several foundational grants. Dr. Huang has a track record of mentorship and high-impact publications.
I. RESEARCH IN SPECIALIZED AREAS (85 % EFFORT)
The incumbent in this position will contribute to translational and clinical research projects. Duties will include:
• Prepare documents for submission to the IRB
• Aid in the preparation of grant applications
• Provide and coordinate clinical studies that involve industry sponsored Phase II, III, and IV clinical trials and investigator-initiated studies.
• Communicate with sponsors
• Recruit and screen study participants
• Coordinate participant clinical visits, and follow-up care, and ensure compliance with study protocols
• Assist in all activities related to clinical trials and translational research.
• Manage datasets, records, and research documentation.
• Become facile with RedCap, Excel, Endnote
• Mentor volunteer and students as required.
II. PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCE AND ACTIVITY (10% EFFORT)
Participate in appropriate professional/technical groups and other educational and research organizations:
• Attend and present at local and national research meetings, like at the UC Davis Department of Dermatology Grand Rounds, and UC Davis Department of Dermatology Clinical Research meetings.
• Attend a national conference, either the Society of Investigative Dermatology annual meeting, the American Academy of Dermatology Annual Meeting, or the Global Vitiligo Foundation annual or mid-year meeting.
• Participate in publication of research activities such as reviewing journal articles and presentation.
• Develop and submit publications including abstracts and manuscripts.
III. UNIVERSITY AND PUBLIC SERVICE (5 % EFFORT)
• Participate in activities of the Departmental Lab Safety Committee
Bachelor's degree in Biological Sciences, or related field.
Able to compile, understand, and interpret data
Ability to work cooperatively and collegiality within a diverse environment.
1 year of laboratory experience (required)
Knowledge of IRB and clinical trials is preferred.
Step 1 $21.32/hr- [15%] or Step II- $22.71/hr annually [15%], commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This position is open effective August 1, 2020 with an initial review date of August 16, 2020. The position will close on June 30, 2021. This is a Short term, seasonal appointment based on the needs of the research project.
Qualified applicants should upload a cover letter detailing their qualifications for the position, a PDF of their curriculum vitae and contact information for 3 references online at https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/apply/JPF03656
Please direct questions to Anandika Shafiq at firstname.lastname@example.org.
UC Davis commits to inclusion excellence by advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain UCSC positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidates to pass an E-Verify check. More information is available http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
UC Davis is a smoke & tobacco-free campus (http://breathefree.ucdavis.edu/).
If you need accommodation due to a disability, please contact the recruiting department.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion documented in the application file will be used to evaluate applicants. Visit https://academicaffairs.ucdavis.edu/faculty-equity-and-inclusion for guidelines about writing a statement and why one is requested.
- 3-5 required (contact information only)