Open date: July 1st, 2020
Last review date: Sunday, Jul 26, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Tuesday, Sep 1, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Qi Zhang’s AMS Lab/Research Group is seeking a highly motivated individual to contribute to the ongoing projects in aerosol mass spectrometry field observation data analysis (https://sites.google.com/site/qizhanggroup/).
Under general supervision, the new hire will compile and analyze atmospheric measurement data, document methods, guidelines, and templates, and work with the Lab Principal Investigator (Prof. Qi Zhang) to coordinate project goals and tasks. The primary work location will be Meyer Hall 4251..
Under the supervision of Dr. Zhang, the Junior Specialist will perform the following duties.
I. Research (90%)
• Compile data in proper format using standard software and procedures.
• Perform statistical analysis and data mining of the long term aerosol chemistry measurement data.
• Review research proposals, journal manuscripts, and publications related to area of expertise.
• Communicate with PI regarding project progress via meetings and written reports.
• Share data and fluent communication with collaborators, both internally and externally.
• Contribution to scholarly scientific manuscripts from the lab, by writing methods, creating figures and performing statistical analyses on the data collected.
II. Professional Competence (5%)
The Junior Specialist will be encouraged to attend and present at regular laboratory group meetings, attend seminars at the university, and local scientific and extension meetings to present data. Examples of meetings where the candidate would present are: annual meetings of the American Association of Aerosol Research and the American Geophysical Union..
III. University and Public Service (5%)
The Junior Specialist will provide training on data analysis software (e.g., Igor and Python) for new members in the group.
• A Bachelor's degree in Statistics or a related field by the time of the appointment.
[Note: The junior specialist rank is an entry level position, accordingly it is inappropriate to hire applicants with advanced degrees in this field, or those with bachelor’s degrees and three years’ relevant work experience.] (See APM-UCD 330)
• Programming proficiency in Igor, Python, or R and experiences in environmental measurement data analysis
• Excellent communication skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Previous research experience working in the lab and field
• Experience with statistical analysis.
SALARY RANGE: Step 1, $20.26/hourly [at 75%] plus benefits..
POSITION AVAILABLE/CLOSING DATE: For full consideration, apply by July 26, 2020. Applications received after this date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
TERM OF APPOINTMENT: 75% for 1 year, starting September 1st, 2020, with the potential to extend up to an additional 12 months upon satisfactory performance and the availability of funds.
TO APPLY: To apply, please go to the following link: https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/JPF03630. Applicants should submit cover letter indicating how you meet the minimum and desirable qualifications, your most recent CV and contact information for 2-3 recent references. All letters of recommendation, if requested, will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Documents/materials must be submitted as PDF files.
QUESTIONS: Please direct questions to Qi Zhang via email@example.com.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain UCSC positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check. More information is available http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
UC Davis is a smoke & tobacco-free campus (http://breathefree.ucdavis.edu/).
If you need accommodation due to a disability, please contact the recruiting department.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter - indicating how you meet the minimum and desirable qualifications.
- 2-3 required (contact information only)