Open date: June 24th, 2020
Last review date: Thursday, Sep 24, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Wednesday, Jun 30, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The position of Junior Specialist has a narrow focus in a specialized area and provides technical or specialized expertise (e.g., with instrumentation and research equipment, or with research methods) in the planning and execution of a research project. Junior Specialists are required to be actively and significantly involved in publishable research activities, including reviewing journal articles and engaging in discussions on research and the interpretation of research results. Junior Specialists are also expected to participate in appropriate professional/technical societies or groups and other educational and research organizations as well as review research proposals, journal manuscripts, and publications as applicable related to their research area of expertise.
This position will be housed in Division of Infectious Diseases facilities at the Medical Center Campus and will be involved in interdisciplinary studies including work on a remdesivir study sponsored by the NIH. The Center serves as the focal point for the large and diverse research community at UC Davis whose interests focus on the coronavirus. The candidate will participate in recruitment of proper study subjects, quantifying disease activity along Infectious Disease Specialists. The candidate will as well collect and input research data.
Research and Evaluation (90%):
• Assists in the implementation and evaluation of research activities related to coronavirus and other infectious diseases indications.
• Assists with data collection and reporting.
• Prepares research dissemination materials, including conference presentation materials and manuscripts.
• Conducts literature reviews and assists with development of study protocols and maintenance of databases.
Professional Competence (5%):
• Participate in appropriate professional/technical societies or groups and other educational and research organizations. Attend proceedings of the American Thoracic Society and American College of Chest Physicians conferences as required. Prepare and present scientific posters.
• Review research proposals, journal manuscripts, and publications related to area of expertise, specifically advanced lung disease including but not limited to COPD, asthma, and interstitial lung disease.
University and Public Service (5%):
• Organizes symposia and workshops to advance the research agenda, including improving protocols and test processes.
• Maintain liaison and respond to the needs of various industry organizations, state and federal agencies, and other internal groups on issues related to the research at hand.
• Participate in research group Meetings for the Division of Infectious Diseases. Collaborate with faculty to review research proposals and plan logistics of their conduct.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in science or other related medical field
Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skill and use medical terminological appropriately.
Strong oral and written communication, appropriate use of terminology. Working knowledge and familiarity with spreadsheets .
Knowledge of HIPAA, ethical issues and writing the human subject protocol in conducting human research is also required.
Knowledge and experience in conducting clinical research and audits
Knowledge in statistical methods is desirable
Serve as a research coordinator for projects conducted by the PI, as resources permit
Responsible for ensuring uninterrupted communication between individual laboratories , data management, and preparation of reports tailored to meet the needs of the project
Salary: Step I – $42,300 annually.
Number of Position Available: 1
TERM OF APPOINTMENT:
Short-term 2-year Exempt appointment, seasonal appointment based on the needs of the research project. Appointments may be made up to 100%.
For full consideration, applications should be submitted by July 9, 2020. However, this position will remain open until filled through June 30, 2021.
Documents/materials must be submitted as PDF files via https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/apply/JPF03597.
QUESTIONS: Please direct questions to Kaitlyn Kirk
UC Davis commits to inclusion excellence by advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action, policy see http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct. If you need an accommodation due to a disability, please contact the recruiting department.
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check. More information is available http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
UC Davis is a smoke & tobacco-free campus (http://breathefree.ucdavis.edu/).
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion documented in the application file will be used to evaluate applicants. Visit https://academicaffairs.ucdavis.edu/faculty-equity-and-inclusion for guidelines about writing a statement and why one is requested.
- 3 required (contact information only)