Open date: May 27th, 2020
Last review date: Monday, Jun 8, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Wednesday, Nov 25, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
JR SPECIALIST- Dr. Nam Tran Lab
The position of Junior Specialist has a narrow focus in a specialized area and provides technical or specialized expertise (e.g., with instrumentation and research equipment, or with research methods) in the planning and execution of a research project. Junior Specialists are required to be actively and significantly involved in publishable research activities, including reviewing journal articles and engaging in discussions on research and the interpretation of research results. Junior Specialists are also expected to participate in appropriate professional/technical societies or groups and other educational and research organizations as well as review research proposals, journal manuscripts, and publications as applicable related to their research area of expertise.
A. Work under the direction of the Principle Investigator on research projects. Specific project focus for this position includes industry sponsored studies related to laboratory medicine (e.g., coagulation testing), as well as other tests used in the field of clinical pathology. Candidates should have a background in the biological and laboratory sciences. Additionally, this position also requires development of training and tools necessary for the conduct of the research. Coordinate research activities involving quality improvement projects for the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, evaluation of the clinical impact of various point of care testing devices, and research biobanking.
B. Collaborates with the Principle Investigator and institution to respond to any audit findings and implement approved recommendations.
C. Evaluation of performance in research activities is subject to the applicable individual project in specialized areas, as documented by any of the following:
• Publications that acknowledge the Junior Specialist's significant and meaningful contribution to the work.
• Publications on which the Junior Specialist is an author.
• Other evidence (e.g., letters from collaborators or principal investigators) that work done by the Junior Specialist contributed to publishable research.
PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCE (27%):
• Participate in appropriate professional/technical societies or groups and other educational and research organizations.
• Review research proposals, journal manuscripts, and publications related to area of expertise.
UNIVERSITY AND PUBLIC SERVICE (3%):
• May maintain liaison and respond to the needs of various industry organizations, state and federal agencies, and other external groups on issues related to area of expertise.
• Participate in activities of committee related to the research work
• Bachelor degree in Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, or similar
• Previous demonstrated experience in natural and/or biomedical research
• Ability to work at multiple UC Davis Health campus locations during work day.
• Proficient computer skills including spreadsheet and database software
• Ability to work with human specimens including whole blood
• Flexible to changing demands of research tasks
• Professional approach to work and attention to detail
• Ability to review literature and follow the exact protocols of others
• Enthusiastic in learning new lab skills
Step I - $40,700 Annually, 100% FTE
Step II - $43,400 Annually, 100% FTE
Number of Positions Available: 1
Term of Appointment:
One year with possibility to extend to two maximum. Non-Exempt appointment based on the needs of the research project. 100% Appointment.
This posting will remain open until filled through 11/25/2020.
Applicants should submit Cover Letter (Optional) and CV (Required) or Resume to https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/apply/JPF03589.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
UC Davis is a smoke- and tobacco-free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) will be strictly prohibited on any property owned or leased by UC Davis-- indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space. UC Davis is a smoke & tobacco-free campus (http://breathefree.ucdavis.edu/).
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain UCD positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check. More information is available http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
If you need accommodation due to a disability, please contact the recruiting department.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion documented in the application file will be used to evaluate applicants. Visit https://academicaffairs.ucdavis.edu/faculty-equity-and-inclusion for guidelines about writing a statement and why one is requested.
- 3-5 required (contact information only)