Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Department of Plant Sciences is seeking a Junior Specialist in fruit biochemistry in the Strawberry Breeding Program. The position will involve conducting laboratory and field research focused on strawberry fruit volatile compounds. The Junior Specialist will work directly with the PI and laboratory manager and closely with postdoctoral researchers, graduate students and breeding program personnel. The successful candidate will be actively involved in publishable research activities, participate in research planning, implementation, and analysis, with opportunities for co-authorship or acknowledgement in publications. Applicants are expected to have an interest and experience in research related to biochemistry and gas chromatography/mass spectrometry.
A. Research in specialized areas (90%)
- Perform analysis of volatile organic compounds of strawberry using gas chromatography-mass spectroscopy (GC-MS).
- Prepare strawberry fruit samples for GC-MS analysis following a standard protocol.
- Meet weekly with PI, laboratory manager, and others to discuss results and interpretations of data collected to plan future projects and experiments.
- Contribute to scholarly manuscripts through data interpretation, development of figures, and review of manuscripts.
- Review and present pertinent literature at lab meetings and journal club.
- Maintain clear laboratory documentation and data files.
- Occasionally assist other laboratory personnel with laboratory, greenhouse, and field research activities, including sample collection and processing.
B. Professional Competence and Activity (5%)
- Attend seminars on topics related to fields of interest.
- Attend the annual Plant Science Symposium and UC Davis Plant Breeding Retreat, as a representative of the Strawberry Program, with the opportunity to attend additional conferences.
- Participate in training programs to enhance knowledge and skills.
C. University and Public Service (5%)
- Lead tours and give presentations to visiting scientist and industry representatives.
- Perform routine maintenance of a GC-MS instrument according to manufacturer specifications.
- Participate in activities of committees within the department, college, campus, and other University entities, as appropriate.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biotechnology, Plant Biology, or a closely related field. The successful candidate must be capable of working independently and have a minimum of one year of experience with GC-MS analysis. The candidate should be organized, efficient, capable of multitasking, and have good communication skills.
SALARY: $39,500/year (this is a 100% appointment for one year with the potential to extend based on performance and funding availability).
Note: The junior specialist rank is an entry-level position, accordingly it is inappropriate to hire applicants with advanced degrees in this field or with a bachelors degree and three years of relevant work experience (see APM-UCD 330).
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- 3 required (contact information only)