Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The position of Assistant Specialist fulfills a dual role; The primary role is to contribute in a focused, specialized area by providing technical and specialized expertise in Proteomics analyses, Maintenance of proteomics equipment, Fish cell culture, Establishment, optimization and execution of molecular and biochemical research methods and projects on fish stress responses, and the Writing of journal articles and grant proposals in this focused research area in the Kueltz Laboratory. The Assistant Specialist stays apprised of emerging issues and problems and maintains technical competence in the designated area(s) of specialization. In addition, the Assistant Specialist will have a managerial role and oversee day-to-day laboratory operation, training of laboratory personnel in the focused research area of expertise (such as specialized Kueltz Lab SOPs, Proteomics, Cell culture and genetic cell manipulation, Fish acclimation, Microscopy and Quantitative imaging, protein and RNA biochemical methods and all laboratory compliance tasks (in this case EHS, OHSS, Proteomics QC, Cell culture QC, and Fish care IACUC compliance). The Specialist will develop and optimize SOPs in these areas of focus and directly report to the PI and coordinate all tasks with the PI. The Specialist is expected to provide leadership, facilitate teamwork, good laboratory management and culture, and develop collaborative relationships with colleagues. The Specialist is evaluated for merit and promotion using three basic criteria outlined below.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DESIGNATED AREAS OF EXPERTISE
I. RESEARCH IN SPECIALIZED AREAS (50% EFFORT)
Perform independent project research and Collaborate with other research personnel affiliated with the Kueltz Lab in research activities involving Proteomics, Fish Cell culture, Genetic Engineering of fish cells, Histology, immunohistochemistry, and image analyses of fish cells and tissues, and mRNA quantitation. Evaluation of performance in research activities and associated outreach activities as deemed applicable to the individual project in specialized areas, as documented by any of the following:
- Publications that acknowledge the Specialist's significant and meaningful contribution to the work.
- Publications on which the Specialist is an author.
- Other evidence (e.g., letters from collaborators or principal investigators) that work done by the Specialist contributed to publishable research.
- Other evidence of recognized expertise may include formal documentation of intellectual effort and participation in publishable research activities, first authorship on publications/patents, presentation of research at regional/national meetings, invitations to review grant proposals and/or journal articles, invitations to participate in research projects, and/or service on advisory panels II. MANAGEMENT, TRAINING AND COMPLIANCE OF SPECIALIZED RESEARCH IN THE KUELTZ LABORATORY (40% EFFORT) Work with the Principle Investigator in Training and collaborating with all laboratory personnel and students. Work with the PI to fulfill all laboratory-specific research compliance tasks, including EHS, IACUC, LHAT, OHSS, etc. and Proteomics and Cell culture QC tasks. Work with collaborators and organizations to share research materials. Prepare Manuscripts and Publish research results in peer-reviewed journals in collaboration with the PI, either based on independent research projects or from collaborative projects that involve other members of the research team. Work with IACUC and EHS to ensure proper procedures are being maintained and organize lab meetings and other laboratory research-support meetings and tasks; Be responsible for maintaining a clean work environment in the laboratory that supports the specific research tasks and the required Proteomics and Cell culture QC standards and SOPs;
II. PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCE AND ACTIVITY (5% EFFORT)
A. Participate in appropriate professional/technical societies or groups and other educational and research organizations. When needed, will coordinate and/or give presentations at staff meetings and educational functions within his/her laboratory and research groups
III. UNIVERSITY AND PUBLIC SERVICE (5% EFFORT)
A. May maintain liaison and keep track of funding opportunities from various organizations, state and federal agencies, and other external groups on issues related to area of expertise.
B. Participate in activities of committees within the department, college, campus and other University entities, if appropriate funds are proportionally contributed to the Specialist salary and benefits by units receiving the service.
Master’s degree in Molecular and Cellular Biology or Animal Science, or Bachelor degree in Cell in Molecular Biology plus three or more years of research experience.
Experience with Proteomics sample processing and analyses. Experience using biochemical and molecular techniques including but not limited to PCR, Cloning, Transfection, Genetic cell manipulation, DNA sequencing, and protein/DNA gels. Experience with cell fractionation, in particular, fish cell nuclear isolation. Experience with Fish cell culture, fish maintenance and fish salinity acclimation, including experience with proper aseptic technique. Experience with inverted fluorescence and phase contrast microscopy, Experience with Immunohistochemistry, immunocytochemistry, and quantitative image analysis/ cytometry approaches based on fluorescence microscopy of fish cells and tissues; Experience with laboratory management, training, compliance, and QC tasks related to biochemical/ molecular research on stress responses of fish and fish cells.
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
TERM OF APPOINTMENT
TO APPLY: To apply, please go to the following link: https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/apply/JPF03005. Applicants should submit the cover letter and curriculum vitae. Documents/materials must be submitted as PDF files. Applicants should also provide three references, contact information only
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion documented in the application file will be used to evaluate applicants. Visit https://academicaffairs.ucdavis.edu/faculty-equity-and-inclusion for guidelines about writing a statement and why one is requested.
- 3-5 required (contact information only)