Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Department of Dermatology at the University of California, Davis invites applications for two qualified Junior Specialists positions. As a Junior Specialist, the candidates will assume responsibilities in assisting and conducting translational research under the direction of Dr. William Murphy.
Research in Specialized Areas (85% EFFORT)
The laboratory of Dr. William Murphy is one of the few laboratories in the world with experience in isolating, expanding and activating dog NK cells. The laboratory has ongoing critical projects with the UCD Vet School involving the infusion of dog NK cells to treat dogs with cancer. The incumbent in this position will:
- Isolate, expand and activate dog NK cells, a highly specialized technique.
- Develop and optimize a method for culturing dog NK cells for cancer therapy in clinical trials.
- Guide the Primary Investigator on optimization.
- Perform flow cytometry experiments to assess dog NK phenotype and function.
- Extract RNA for polymerase chain reactions (PCR) and collect data.
- May co-author manuscripts regarding these findings and provide input on its design
- Review and research proposals, journal manuscripts, and publications related to area of expertise
- Train graduate students on this procedure to maintain consistency in results.
- Complete experiments as required before final approval for publication on this project.
General Research Responsibilities:
- Support educational programs within the laboratory including undergraduate, graduate, and professional level course development.
- Develop, perform, and contribute to translational and basic science research projects.
- Manage datasets, records, and research documentation.
- Write, edit, and finalize various grant proposals.
- Educate and mentor students in the laboratory as required.
- Establish and maintain human and animal cell culture lines using sterile techniques.
- Prepare sterile media/reagents and maintain sterile facilities (incubator).
- Correctly use and maintain laboratory equipment such as micro-plate reader, balances, centrifuges, microscopes, pipettes, cryostat, and laminar flow hoods.
- Update/ modify standard laboratory procedures to fulfill the needs of each research project.
- Enter patient data into database.
- Organize and order laboratory supplies.
- Work with volunteers and students.
- Other related duties assigned by supervisor.
Professional Competence and Activity (10% EFFORT)
- Participate in appropriate professional/technical groups and other educational and research organizations.
- Participate in the publication of research activities such as reviewing journal articles and presentation.
- Develop and submit publications including abstracts and manuscripts.
- Attend and present at local and/or national research meetings.
University and Public Service (5% EFFORT)
- Participate in activities of committees within the department, college, campus and other University entities as appropriate.
Bachelor's degree in Biological Sciences, or related field.
Able to compile, understand, and interpret data
Ability to work cooperatively and collegiality within a diverse environment.
1 year of laboratory experience (required)
Knowledge of flow cytometry preferred.
Step 1 $39.500 annually- [100%] or Step II - $42,100 annually [100%], Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This position is open effective May 28, 2019 with an initial review date of June 11, 2019. The position will close on October 31, 2019.
Short term, seasonal appointment based on the needs of the research project. Appointments may be made up to 100%. Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Qualified applicants should upload a cover letter detailing their qualifications for the position, a PDF of their curriculum vitae and contact information for 3 references online at https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/apply/JPF02849
Please direct questions to Valerie Bartole at firstname.lastname@example.org .
UC Davis commits to inclusion excellence by advancing equity, diversity and inclusion in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain UCD positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidates to pass an E-Verify check. More information is available http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
UC Davis is a smoke & tobacco-free campus (http://breathefree.ucdavis.edu/).
If you need accommodation due to a disability, please contact the recruiting department.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
- 3-6 required (contact information only)