Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology at the University of California, Davis in conjunction with PREP@ UC Davis invites applications for six Junior Specialists in basic biomedical sciences.
The Junior Specialists will be involved in studies focusing on questions in cell, molecular, and developmental biology. Candidates will be expected to devote 30 hours per week to research, which may involve laboratory work, computation, data analysis, participating in laboratory group and other meetings, and assisting with writing manuscripts for publication. In the lab, 95% of effort will be research and 5% mentoring undergraduates or others in the lab. The candidate will have strong interpersonal, communication, and decision-making skills; as well as the ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
These positions are funded by the US National Institutes of Health, which mandates the following basic qualifications.
• hold a bachelor’s degree in a biomedically relevant science from an accredited US college or university awarded no more than 36 months prior to applying
• be citizens or permanent residents of the US
• be a member of a group underrepresented in biomedical research as defined by the NIH National Institute of General Medical Sciences, i.e., African American, Latino, Native American, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander, or disabled.
• intend to pursue doctoral study in the biomedical sciences, i.e., a PhD, MD/PhD, DDS/PhD, or DVM/PhD degree.
In addition, applicants must have at minimum an overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0, and must be able to keep a complete and detailed laboratory notebook of experimental procedures and data and to archive, label and document graphic and tabular data for publication, proposals, and/or presentations.
SALARY RANGE: Step I - $39,500 [100% annual] or Step II - $42,100 [100% annual], commensurate with qualifications and experience.
POSITION AVAILABLE/CLOSING DATE: The posting will remain open until filled. For full consideration, all application materials must be received by February 15, 2019.
TERM OF APPOINTMENT: Short term, one-year appointment at 75% time.
TO APPLY: To apply, please go to the following link: https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/apply/JPF02438
Applicants should submit the following materials.
• a description of past research experience, 1 single-spaced page maximum (if no prior research experience, just state this in this essay)
• a statement of purpose, 1-2 single-spaced pages maximum, that describes the applicant’s current scientific interests, career goals, and reason for applying to PREP@UCD
• three letters of reference, with at least two from faculty in the sciences. Letters must be uploaded to the UC Recruit website. Please do not send them separately.
• transcripts (or unofficial copy) from all college or universities attended
• a list of five PREP@UCD faculty with whom the applicant would like to work
All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. For more information about the program, please visit the website: http://prep.ucdavis.edu
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants (as defined by the NIH National Institue of General Medical Sciences) will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain UC Davis positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check. More information is available http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
UC Davis is a smoke & tobacco-free campus (http://breathefree.ucdavis.edu/).
If you need accommodation due to a disability, please contact the recruiting department.
Statement of Research - 1 single-spaced page maximum (if no prior research experience, just state this in this essay)
Statement of purpose - 1-2 single-spaced pages maximum, that describes the applicant’s current scientific interests, career goals, and reason for applying to PREP@UCD
Transcripts (or unofficial copy) - From all college or universities attended
List of 5 PREP@UCD Faculty - A list of 5 PREP@UCD Faculty you would like to work with
- 3 letters of reference required
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information